Monday, August 10, 2009

No more blank wall


The wall above our sofa has been blank for the 8 years that we have lived in this house. I bought 'Lack' shelves at Ikea years ago, thinking they should go on that particular wall. The intention was to have a space where I could move pictures and objects around when I feel like it, rather than to hang pictures there permanently. The shelves were put up yesterday, and I found that I had a lot of stuff I wanted to display on them... After a lot of shuffling around of paintings and vases etc. and hearing Luther Vandross humming in my inner ear 'Never too much, never too much...', I ended up with this solution. For now. (If you feel a bit seasick from looking at this image, it could be because the ceiling is actually slanting. Nothing to do with my decoration, I'm sure ;-)


The black lady figurine (formerly decapitated and glued back together, before I found her in a skip) has been residing in our bedroom. I wonder if she should go back there..? I'll let her sit on the shelf for a bit while I consider it. Francesca of Mrs Eliot Books might recognize one of her prints on the shelf.


The dog pencil drawing was done by a lady called Helene Klem and signed 1931. I picked this up at some junk yard so unfortunately know nothing about her. The oil painting is dated 1965 and is by Ansgar Leiten, a Norwegian artist. This was also a fleemarket find.

8 comments:

Socko said...

It looks great! What fun to be able to change things around.... a different look for each season?

idyll said...

Oh, that was a really great idea! I am looking for a solution for my bedroom wall.. Maybe this is it! Thanks for sharing...

idyll said...

Oh, what a great idea! Looks amazing. I am looking for a solution for my bedroom wall (and all my stuff).. Maybe this is it.. Thanks for sharing:)

Biba said...

Shelves look fab! I have the same undecided empty space above my sofa...

Thanks for that camper link - i loved it :) :)

Francesca said...

very lovely janne, proud to be on your new wall!

mel bomba said...

my god, i love wood panel ceilings, shelves look fantastic too,

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Your shelves look fantastic! The painting is amazing, and I love the 1930's dachshund drawing. I've been considering shelves in my dining room, but I love yours above your sofa. For years we have been trying to find a solution to our giant blank sofa wall issue, but none of our paintings are quite large enough, and we can't get a grouping to look right. I think shelves are the answer. Once again, you are a source of inspiration!

P.S. I envy your wood ceiling...

Anonymous said...

Thats my grandfather! haha