Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday book tip

Friday again already. I've been busy catching up on my driving theory (I'm what you can call a mature driving student) and writing job applications this week, and now it feels like a cold is setting in. As long as it's not swine-flu, I will not complain.

I thought I'd tip you about a great book today, but unfortunately it's only out in Swedish... So, big apologies to all my non-Scandinavian readers, but I hope you might like some of the photos all the same. The book is called 'Daggs att renovera – Var rädd om detaljerna'. It translates to something in the region of 'Time to renovate – Be careful with the details'. It shows houses from the 1920s to the 1970s in existing villa areas (in Sweden), and deals with the different architectural and interior details specific to each decade, and talks about the importance of keeping with the original ideas, whether it's to do with extending a house, altering the facade in some way or just changing doorhandles inside. The book also has some examples where house owners have done just the opposite. There is a lot of that going on in my own neighbourhood actually, and I think it's a great shame as this whole area of houses (built in 1968) used to be very homogenous and 'clean'-looking. Anyway, here are some images from the book:

Oh, the horrors... What were they thinking?

I really love the sleek funkis-houses of the 1930s.




This is from the 1960s and in a similar style to the house I live in. I wish I had those long windows and the tiny balcony on the side of the house, though.

I really like the calmness of this interior. It's a beautiful house from 1963.

2 comments:

Pinneguri said...

Vi kaller Ålesund Jugendbyen, men glemmer (?) at Oslo er funkisbyen over alle. Det er så mye vakker og godt bevart (bortsett fra Skansen selvfølgelig) funkisarkitektur her at det burde vært egne guider på området. Guider for turister.
Fine observasjoner du har gjort.

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

This book looks really cool. Hopefully it will be printed in English soon. For now, I'm enjoying your pics. Thanks for sharing!